Monday 15 September 2014

The first of many. Well, that's the plan at least.



Ben and I pedalled off from Tunbridge Wells a little later than expected, it was gone one o'clock when we gave up waiting on Max and decided to meet him en-route at the Old Vine in Cousley Wood. 40 minutes later we had arrived - thirsty, tired, and shocked at how long the first 4 miles had taken us. We had to do 26 more before sundown. The kit on my pannier weighed probably the best part of 30 kilos and Ben was riding a BMX.

Max joined us shortly after we ordered our drinks and we chatted for a while about how each of us had prepared for the journey - it was clear that I had been the most prepared person by buying a pannier and setting it with more than two hours to spare - Max was hungover and had only just finished bolting his bike together. Still, with the spirt of adventure fresh in our hearts and dreams of sandy beaches and cold beers, we set off once again.

It was hard going, harder than what I ever expected. It took a lot of determination one some of the hills, and it seemed impossible on others, but once we got a rhythm going we made some progress. We reached Hawkhurst - just under half-way - by about 5 o'clock. Of course, we had a pint and relaxed for a while.

The weather was pleasant with no wind or rain, we were able to keep plodding along at a steady pace. Slow, but steady. It wasn't until after 7 o'clock that we reached Rye, with still 5 miles to go.

Google estimated the trip to take 2 hours 44 minutes - yeah, right!

We arrived at Camber Sands with just enough time to pitch our tents before dark.

Sleeping on the sand wasn't as comfortable as I predicted - next time I will try digging out a bed.

We cycled down to the sea and Ben even had the courage to swim in it. I am normally the one to step up to such challenge but I must admit; it was cold and I was very dry and comfortable, and with a 30 mile ride back with already beaten up thighs, I didn't want to add to my burden.

The ride back took a while, stopping at pubs was again our only paradise in a world of pain - okay that's a bit dramatic, but it was nice to stop for a few drinks :)

Although it did pour down briefly, we avoided any significant rain. We arrived back in Tunbridge Wells just before sundown. I felt tired, but alive and full of the good spirit that you get after completing and adventure.

This was a tiny ride in comparison to what I am proposing to do next year. In fact what we did in two days, I am going to need to do in half a day, six times over.

I will try and improve my stamina and speed over the next few months. I have been running almost every week since the ride and I'm not up to 10 miles, I have also been swimming and I've kept up my weekly rock climbing outings. Of course I have also been cycling to work which doesn't seem like much, but has helped dramatically when cycling uphill - it is now a lot easier and I believe it is these obstacles that slow down progress in a long ride.

Hope you enjoyed reading this - click play to watch the footage from my GoPro of the ride. I will keep you updated on my training!

Santiago.

No comments: